Step 1: Obtain Construction Financing
The first step in building any new home is to get pre-approved for a construction loan (which is very different from a conventional mortgage) and find out how much money you can borrow. We recommend that you contact banks that specialize in modular home construction loans with the homeowner acting as the general contractor. Using a bank with experience in this specialized market will save you both time and money.
Step 2: Search for Land
Once you know your overall budget, the next step is finding land on which to build your new home. Finding land is one of the most challenging aspects of building your new home. However, you can still find land if you're willing to put in the time and effort. Find a septic system designer here.
How to Find Land
- Search the New England Real Estate Network site. This site enables you to search every listing in the state.
- Sign-up with area newspapers to be notified by email when land listings meeting your requirements run in the paper.
- Search Craig's List and Facebook Marketplace for land for sale.
- Search for mobile homes for sale on their own land. Remove mobile home and you have land for your new house.
- Drive around the area where you'd like to build. Look for "For Sale By Owner" signs (this method really works!).
- Visit the town hall in the town where you'd like to live. Ask to see the tax maps. Look for vacant lots and note owner's name and address.
- Contact owner to see if they would be interested in selling. This method takes some time but can uncover land no one else knows about.
- Contact a Realtor who specializes in land.
Step 3: Design Your New House
Meet with our designer and create your dream house (this is the fun part!). Standard hHome plans can be modified to meet your needs. You can rearrange rooms, doors, windows, kitchens, baths, etc. You can "flip" or reverse plans. You can add windows, substitute a slider for a door, or make a house larger or smaller. Just tell us what you want!
Step 4: Order Your New House
Once the design process has been completed and your loan has closed, it's time to place the order for your new house. Your new home will be delivered in two to three months. While your new home is being built in the factory, your subcontractors will complete site work including excavation, foundation, and well. Please Note: We can not order your house without a valid building permit from your town.
Step 5: House Delivery
Your new house will be delivered to your site approximately two to three months after placing your order.
Step 6: Modular Home Set
Your house will generally be set in one or three days, depending upon the style and complexity of house. We will schedule the crane and the set crew. Our experienced crew will "set" your home on your foundation and complete vinyl siding installation.
Step 7: Button-up (on-site work)
You or your subcontractors will complete the button-up including plumbing and heating hookups, electrical hookups, and interior and exterior finish work.
Step 8: Move In
After all your hard work enjoy your new home!